Thursday, June 21, 2012

Woo!! Helping People!!!

So, I just wanted to put a big thank you out there because today, I got my first paper that someone wanted me to help with! I hope that I was helpful to her and I hope that other people will use me to improve their writing too! ^_^

Here are some helpful things, if you want to ask me for help. These will help me edit better for your needs and limit my feedback, so that you get more of what you want.
1) What country you are from, also, if you give me the prompt for your country, that may help as well.
2) What kind of editing you want. Do you want just grammar? General feedback? Both? I can do a full edit, which would include grammar, a comments section, and some general tips.
3) Rewrite help? If you want help writing a section because you know something sounds funny, you could send me the sentence with the paragraph and I could give suggestions for the specific section to make your writing better. However, I will not do this for a full paper because it is a LOT of work and then there would be too much me in the paper, when JET wants you.
4) Which sections. If you want me to read your whole paper, but focus on specific paragraphs, numbers the paragraphs and tell me what you want extra help with.
5) Just so you know, when I read and edit papers for people I consider to be peers, I treat it like a writing workshop. I read your paper once and make comments (the comments section). I read your paper a second time for grammar and a couple comments on weird/difficult to read sentences. I skim your paper a third and final time to check for final edits. I then add a couple comments on things that I think in general about your paper. I can be very harsh, my family thinks that I am the high school teacher everyone hates, but is much better off for having. I definitely don't hold blows for peers, unless you ask me to; I want your writing to be the best it can be and coddling you doesn't help anyone.

And here are some general writing/editing tips from me, in case you don't want my help, but you do need some help on your own.
1) Read aloud. Checking for commas this way is easiest. In fact, when I write, I speak under my breath, so that I know where I pause and need commas. Also, this makes it much easier to catch weird/difficult sentences.
2) Show, don't tell. Don't tell me a list of things you did. Show me a story, paint the scene, so that I see you, not listen to you talk about you.
3) Cut excess words. Rewrite sentences and see if you can remove words by changing verb tense or sentence order or whatever else, just cut the excess, so that you have room for the important stuff.
4) Use details! Details make it about you and not a motivational speech. No one wants your generic paper about the necessities of teaching and uniqueness of Japan; JET already knows all this crap and now they want to know about you, your experiences, and what you have to bring to the table.

That's it for yet another post about edits and SoPs and my writing opinions. Please, more people send me papers ^_^

And again:
THANK YOU FOR USING ME!!!! I enjoy helping out and having something useful to do with my time! This is a perfect opportunity for people who want feedback on last year's SoP because I am currently unemployed and have tons of time to read and edit your papers.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I finished the rough-rough-rough-rough draft and I plan on adding my international experience after I come back from studying abroad. But, I realized when I finished that I focused on cultural exchange as much as educating others. Do you think that this will be a problem? From what I read JET is a program that focuses on cultural exchange as well as teaching English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that focusing in on cultural exchange is a really good idea, as long as you go about it the right way. Talk about how it influences you, how you influence others in the exchange, and what else you want out of it. And, if you have teaching-related experiences in this exchange, all the better. Also, make sure you keep it to good details and find a point. If your theme is sharing culture, then make sure that flows throughout your paper, connect that to how teaching is cultural exchange or something like that. I'd get more specific, but obviously I haven't seen your actual paper, so hopefully this helps.

      Delete