Monday, June 4, 2012

Getting Cultural... In the Bath

I think that respecting the culture wherever you are is super important. I am one of those people who gets really irritated when someone living in the US knows no English. Not because I have a problem with them knowing their culture or another language, but because I think it's disrespectful. I live in an area with over 98% white, English speaking residents and I've encountered a surprising amount of people who don't speak English and don't seem to be polite enough to pretend they care. I feel awful when I go somewhere and can't communicate. I feel like a rude assbutt (thank you Castiel). I went to Japan for a week and a half about five years ago and I think the thing I said most was "I'm sorry, I don't know Japanese. I'm sorry, I'm an American." I went to Montreal and happened to encounter a couple people who didn't know much English at a couple stores and my French wasn't particularly suited to shopping in the Hell Kitty store, so I felt bad there. I just think that it is good manners to at least TRY to know enough language to get by wherever you are.

Now, off my soapbox. I think if you are going to travel somewhere or live somewhere, you ought to experience their real culture, like foods (if it's gonna stop you, don't ask what it is first) and activities. Today, I only want to talk about one awesome activity.

Onsen.

Onsen are public bathhouses essentially. If you, like me, read a lot of manga or watch a lot of anime, you know what an onsen is. You go in, put your stuff in a basket, go, in the buff, to sit on a little crate with a shower head, bucket, soap, and shampoo, and wash yourself. Then many have a real or imitation hot spring that you can boil yourself alive in and pass out (just like in manga :P) When I went to Japan, we got to stay in a gorgeous traditional inn in Takayama. It was the best the ever. I loved it. And when I got to go use the baths, I was ecstatic because I wanted to experience that part of their culture that is impossible where I come from. Only two girls of the ten-ish that went down to the baths actually did it. My friend and I decided that there was no shame in it and we wanted to do it. But everyone else left when they found out that the couldn't wear a towel or couldn't have drinks in the bath. Even still, it was wicked cool. My friend and I chatted and showered on our little crates just like they do in manga (less groping though, no comedic conversations about bust-size). Then we went and enjoyed the imitation hot spring and chatted with the guys through the wall separating the baths. It was great. I really recommend that you do it when you get the chance.

Onsen. Do it!

One last thing: a favorite quote of mine, relating to onsen. "You're in the way. You're in the way like steam in a moe anime bath scene." From Odamari-kun in Manabiya. So good <3

1 comment:

  1. Ahh I'd love to go to an onsen one day! Sounds like you had a good experience :D

    ReplyDelete