Monday, April 8, 2013

Fingerprinting and FBI Background Check

So, progress has been made. Yesterday, I sent out my passport name change paperwork, expedited, which means that today is fingerprint day.

Fingerprinting, for the FBI background check, is really important. I am choosing to get it done at the local police station because I am hoping that having it done by a someone who takes prints as a government employee means that other government employees will accept them. Make sure the prints are clear and to the required standard because the FBI can reject your prints and JET will probably reject you because it won't be in a timely fashion. So, there are a couple things with this.

1) Print all the forms you need. Applicant form and print card, if needed.
2) Police stations will require you to bring your own print card. I don't know about private places.
3) Bring multiple cards, spend the extra money if needed, to make sure you have clear prints. You don't want a smeared print.
4) Bring money for print collection. My station charges $5.
5) FBI Check costs $18, I believe JET says somewhere to not use a service, so I am just sending mine directly.
6) Make sure you make a copy of your applicant form for your reply form.

It seems that some police stations have specific times or require appointments, mine just requires an officer to be in the station. So, make sure you know and allot your time appropriately.

When you mail your prints, make sure to specify not to bend the envelope during transit because damaged prints won't work right and will be rejected. I think that's everything... I hope that helps. Good luck everyone!

11 comments:

  1. Oh christine i feel like i know you. We are both alternates... I feel a bit hopeless lately. Like just when this JET gig was going so well, it's like it all just threw up in my face. I've been thinking about what I did wrong and maybe my shirt had a wrinkle, or maybe one of the interviewers didn't like me. But then on the other hand i'm full of positivity and i'm like... no. You go and show that world what you got. And I make myself happy. I guess it's not the end all and be all, but I'm one of those people that had their hopes and dreams set so high. almost unattainably high. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your hopes up! Being an alternate means that you were accepted and they just don't have your spot available yet. We just have to fight on until we get in! I'm glad that my blog can be of some comfort and I hope that it helps you keep your hopes up ^_^

      Delete
  2. how are you feeling almost a month into waiting? placements will be out soon = lots of upgrades!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO stressed! I almost don't want upgrades to start because I am terrified I won't be one of them... But I'm also excited because it means I might be upgraded. I figure, my paperwork for Boston was just due on the 30th, so upgrades should be soonish for people who rejected the position and then when placements come out, some more upgrades there... So hopefully... I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed, but also trying to keep busy, so I don't obsess over it.

      Delete
    2. Stressed as well! I've been having a hard time sleeping. We can do it! Thanks for always being on the ball and replying, you truly are a great inspiration. It's nice to know someone shares your pain and anxieties.

      Delete
  3. hey christine! I just got upgraded and it's so early. please don't give up hope. you deserve this. I've been reading your blog since I started the application and honestly, you've made me a happier applicant. I was crushed when I found out that I was an alternate but I quickly turned my attitude around and just kept busy. You're going to be great. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats!!! I hope everything goes well and I am sure you'll have a great time!

      Delete
  4. hi. any news as of late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still nothing. Honestly, I'm currently operating on the assumption that I'm not being upgraded, just to protect my heart from breaking. But, there is still time and it's not over yet. Plus, they are increasing the size of JET next year, so maybe I'll try again... I dunno. It's rough, but I'm trying to keep my hopes up.

      Delete
  5. Any updates? It looks like this was a really tough year for JET :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet been upgraded, however I do know that the embassy has all my info and I am still on the list... So I am waiting and praying and working on other things as best I can.

      Delete