Friday, April 5, 2013

Alternate Paperwork

I have now received the list of things needed for paperwork as an alternate.
1) Reply form
2) Copy of FBI Background Check application
3) Photocopy of VALID passport
4) Proof of Graduation (if not already submitted with JET application)
5) FBI Identification Record sent directly to JET (to your consulate)

These are all fairly straightforward and easy. I am making a separate post related to the fingerprinting and background check, so that leaves only one concern. Do NOT be me. So, I didn't have the money to fix my passport if I didn't have to, which means my old passport is technically not "valid" because it has my maiden name. At this point, I sent it out (once I knew I was an alternate and might need it) to get the name changed and I sent it expedited, so hopefully I get it in time. However, I am really concerned that my passport won't be back in time. It does note that, if your passport was included in your application, then you don't need to send another copy, but I am not 100% sure that I did. I believe I sent a copy of my passport and a copy of my marriage license to show my name and legal-ness... So, yeah, now I'm freaking out about it...

Anyway, there is more stuff if I/you/anyone gets upgraded. Once upgraded you will need these.
1) Certificate of Health (I think this includes a TB test)
2) Copy of IRS Residency Certification (Form 8802)
3) Passport
4) Visa application
5) Passport picture
6) Everything you already needed as an alternate

I hope this is helpful and I hope I get my stuff all straightened out ><

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I am an alternate out of the Houston consulate. I was also really disappointed at first (cried for a good while), but I'm trying to be more optimistic now! It's good to read your posts.

    Quick question about the fingerprints, do you need to go somewhere to get them done or can you do them yourself? It looks as though you can do them yourself with the form from the FBI site, so I wasn't sure. Are you going somewhere to get them done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, I don't know if you can do them yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it. I had to get fingerprints done for teaching/subbing in Maine and it is rather particular about the standards. I am going to my local police station. I should have all that done on Monday and a full post on that in particular. Wherever you go, bring a print out of the print card. I hope that helps!

      Also, I'm glad that my blog is encouraging ^_^ Honestly, talking about it helps and hearing from others in the process really helps encourage me to keep trying and everything too ^_^

      Delete
  2. Okay, that's a good idea! I think I will call my police station Monday and see what they say. And all we need to send is the a copy of the request form right now, right?

    It really does help!^_^ It also helps me to think that I could apply with a bunch of other different companies (I'm considering Interac if I don't get upgraded), so maybe I wouldn't have to wait a whole year before trying again! But hooopefully, we will just get upgraded! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so fill out your FBI request and photocopy it. I assume they don't need a copy of the fingerprints...

      Good luck applying for other things if you don't get upgraded, but I'll certainly be rooting for you to get an upgrade!

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much! I will definitely be rooting for you as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christine,
    I've been reading your blog throughout the application process and wanted to congratulate you! I was also made an alternate after an amazing SOP, top notch references, and a great interview. Competition was obviously tough this year, but we made it! I have a good feeling about being upgraded. Many if not most of the alternates are upgraded every year. Let's do this!

    ReplyDelete