Friday, June 8, 2012

Don't Be Afraid to Have an Extra Page

So, as I wait and wait and wait, I am still occasionally reading old questions on the JET forums. This is a great little suggestion that I did not make use of last year because I had failed to really think through all my information.

On the JET application, there is limited space, which can prove difficult if you have lots of things to say. For every section of the application, you can have an extra page, if you need it. So, in my case, as I've thought about stuff for my next app, I've realized that I technically do a lot of self-study on Japanese topics. But, on the application, there is only room for a couple of topics of self-study; I am planning to list self-study of Japanese language, Japanese literature/Tale of Genji, medieval garb, bento, and a few other things. I didn't even think of these things last year because I count them as hobbies, which was stupid of me. Looking at last years app, I can't fit everything on, so I shall need to attach an extra page. Here is what you need to know for adding extra papers and whatnot to your app:
1) If you add something, format it the same as the section you are adding to. If you are unsure of the formatting, do a print preview to see what it looks like after you print to submit.
2) Make sure you add it to every copy of your application. All three applications need to look exactly the same.
3) Don't be afraid to add. If you are unsure of something's value, add it anyway. The worst that can happen is that the reviewer ignores it; they will probably never count it against you.

There are other things you can add to your app, as well. the Miami Coordinator talks about sticky notes for clarification a lot and I think that is a really good idea. Maybe I'll talk about sticky notes some other time.

Anyways, you want to include all things that seem important. Things like teaching experiences, intercultural/international experience, learning about Japanese culture, all those are things you want to include everything possible. I have a bunch of teaching classes from college and I definitely want all of them in my application, never pick and choose with things like that. Make sure that you use those extra pages to your best advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment