Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seriously Though, Money.

I know I talked a little about money before, but I just wanted to reiterate. Every time I go and read old threads (I mean like last year, the year before, etc), there are people worried about getting together the couple thousand needed for the first month or so. I really suggest that if you have your heart set on JET, you start working some extra hours. I know that most people applying are in college or recent grads or lucky enough to have a full-time job, but sucking it up to work Saturdays or close at a crappy little store a couple nights a week would get you some extra cash and save you the stress, when it comes time to really have that money.

Obviously, I like to give lots of advice. Honestly? I love that this blog has gotten so many views (being the unsocialable person I am, it's the coolest thing ever), but I write a lot of this stuff for my own sake. So, if I keep saying, "GET A JOB YOU USELESS n00b!!!!!" I am talking to myself. Currently, I am graduated, my internship has essentially ended (and was unpaid anyways), and am unemployed. Depressing, I know. I'm also trapped with an issue of not knowing when I'm moving.

Some more fun time about ME!!!! I believe I have mentioned that I got married last October, but my husband and I have been living with my parents because it was close to school and fairly cheap. This has been killing me (mom, dad, brother, I love you, if you are reading this, but I don't want to live with you anymore or ever again). I want to live with my husband, pay my bills, keep my house, and just be the adult that I know I am. Sadly, this is impossible living with my parents. We pay rent, but it can get touchy and passive aggressive. My husband pays the bills (best husband evar let me quit my job because full-time student + 30ish hours of work + a gajillion education observation hours was bad for everyone). I want to be an adult. We lived mostly on our own for a few months, but because of me needing to finish school ended up moving to my parents home. We did well. We paid bills, did grocery shopping, did our chores, and managed quite well. I want to get back to that. Most of all, I WANT A JOB! T_T I currently can't get one.

Getting a job for the people knowing that they leave for JET in August is tough. I feel their pain because I want a job in the short term before I move, but I have no idea when that will be yet (as I write this post). My husband is working on getting a new job within his company in the area of Maine that we want to live in, but that could be mid-June or next January; I don't know. So, if I only have a few weeks, a job is absurd and seems douche-y of me, but if I have months, it's douche-y that I am sitting around doing nothing. I want to work.

I am working on things I need to get done. I just got fingerprinted in ME to apply for my teaching certificate, that way I know what I need to get my certificate (stupid inter-state differences). That will put my fingerprints on file, so that hopefully I can apply to be a substitute teacher. I also plan to get a job that is as close to FT as I can get, probably in the evenings/afternoons/weekends. It will suck because I'll work too much and be busy and stressed. But! It will be great if I can pay off some of my student loans on top of what my best-father-ever is so magnificently paying. Also, I really mean it when I say to start saving now. Even if you are taking the change from your trips to the store and throwing it in a jar, it counts. Save five bucks a week. Every penny is one less you need, when you finally get that "Yes" from JET. Now I need a job, so I can follow my own advice ^^;

No comments:

Post a Comment