Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Name Troubles

In my time examining all the things that could have gotten my app last year disqualified, I found something really obvious and stupid on my part. My name. I got married last October and that meant that I did not have the correct documents to submit with my name. For my proof of citizenship (or whatever that is), I used my birth certificate, clearly, this has my birth name on it, not my married name. This year, I am hoping to use my passport, which I want to renew and, thus, would have my married name.

If you are in the same situation, you can submit your birth certificate as your proof of citizenship, but you need to provide documentation showing your name change. Things that can prove this in most situations are the paperwork from changing your name at Social Security (I needed this for my license) or just your marriage certificate. You probably want to spend the extra dough to get a real official copy of your marriage certificate from town hall, just in case photocopies are not official enough.

Please, don't be stupid and mess these things up. You don't want to be me and realizing eight-ish months after the application that something as dumb as your name not being verified correctly got you disqualified from such a great program. So, correct documentation of your name, do it, it's not hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment