Saturday, June 2, 2012

Knowing How Much You Want It

At this point in the year, many JETs have already received their placements, which leads to some new issues. Money is scary, as I've already discussed. And then there are concerns about radiation. I can honestly say that no matter where I get placed, I will take it and rejoice. But, I also know that I have wanted this for over half of my life. I want this so bad. I want this more than anything in my life. Before I got married, I knew that if I left my boyfriend/fiance for a year to go to Japan, I could lose him. I know that it'll make for weird transitions in my life. I knew that I could miss some huge events in my family. No matter what happens, JET is my dream. I want JET more than I have ever wanted anything. So, if I got placed in Fukushima, I would go, no matter my family's refusal, the news telling me it's dangerous, money issues, anything that came up, none of it would stop me.

So, ask yourself this, every step of the way: how much do you want it? Do you want it enough to dive straight in with all those risks? Do you want it enough to throw away your fears and go somewhere scary? Are you going to bail because of something as small as radiation risks?

Make sure that you know what is going to try and hold you back, be it money, family, fear, etc. And then tell all of those things that you really want this and they can suck it. Don't let anything stand in your way. Want this more than anything else. Or at least know at what point you are no longer willing to do this. Always know how far you are willing to go, especially when applying for a job on the other side of the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment