Sunday, August 11, 2013

Certificate of Residency

As a US citizen, I (and you, if you are from the US) have certain rights about taxes while you work in Japan. I have zero interest in detailing that info other than you won't be paying taxes to both countries. What I do want to talk about is the actual form. When you are informed that you are a shortlist or alternate candidate, I suggest preparing this form as soon as you have the chance. It isn't particularly difficult, but if you are traveling (as I was), it is really inconvenient.

Fill the form out in the PDF and save the file. Print a copy and just stick it in an envelope for sake of ease. If you decide to drive 16 hours from home, just take a copy with you (seriously, this seems stupid, but I was doing medieval camping and this was a problem for me especially). Don't be daft, your tax ID number is your SSN if you have one (I admit, I don't do the taxes, so I didn't realize this). If you filed jointly, you need to submit with the joint applicant, so I had to have my husband's signature on the document as well as some of his tax information.

Most of it is very logical and the IRS instruction PDF is plenty helpful. I recommend doing the payment online and faxing the form because it's easy, but you certainly can mail it.

No comments:

Post a Comment